The main focus of the RtI PST work at Daphne High
School thus far has been establishing a system for identifying students
at risk of having an unsuccessful high school experience and/or not
graduating on time and matching them to supports and resources within
the school community.
To this end, the team has been analyzing
student achievement, attendance, and behavioral data and staff members
have been meeting with students and families to devise and implement
support plans targeted to each student's needs. Some of the supports
available to students this year have included RtI Parthenon, staff mentoring, in-class Interventions, and the Parthenon Tutoring Center, lead by our Daphne High School teachers.
component of the RtI/MTSS model, progress monitoring, has been put in
place to increase accountability and ensure students find success with
the supports provided. When students are successful with the
intervention, it is either continued or faded based on need. When
progress is not as consistent or rapid as is necessary, the support plan
What is Response to Instruction (RtI)?
to Instruction (RtI) also referred to as Response to Intervention is a
process designed to help schools focus on high-quality instruction that
is matched to student needs and is monitored on a frequent basis.
School personnel use research and data to adapt instruction and to make
educational program decisions for students. This enables us to promote
continuing academic and behavioral success at Daphne High School for
What are the essential components of RtI?
- Students receive high-quality, research-based instruction in their general education setting.
- General education instructors and staff assume an active role in students' assessment in that curriculum.
staff conduct universal screening of academics and behavior to
determine which students need extension opportunities and which students
need additional interventions and monitoring.
- Multiple tiers of increasingly intense, research-based instruction and interventions are matched to student need.
- Use of a collaborative team for development, implementation, and monitoring of the instruction and interventions at each tier
monitoring of student progress during instruction and interventions,
using formative progress monitoring data to determine if students are
- Follow-up measures to ensure instructions and interventions are implemented as intended and with consistency.
- Documentation of parent involvement throughout the process.