Applications are now open for additional Peer Helpers for the 21-22 school year. Applications must be completed by Tuesday, August 24, 2021 at 3 PM to be considered.
Peer Helper Program Overview
To equip young people to act as a resource to help other youth with the issues they face, the concept of “peer helping” was developed. Peer Helpers are students who are trained to recognize when their peers may have a problem, listen to fellow students confidentially and assist them with emotional, societal, or academic struggles. Peer Helpers are taught as a state accredited elective class .Peer Helpers assist classmates by listening empathetically, providing options for making healthy choices, becoming advocates, and helping them get involved in campus life. In the process of helping others improve their self-esteem, Peer Helpers can themselves become leaders and role models.
Peer Helping Core Beliefs:
Guided by Integrity, Value of Service, and Commitment to Excellence
Peer Helper Code of Ethics
- I will participate in all required peer helper training and special events throughout the year. I understand that this will require me to be available during the school day, before school, after school, and weekends.
- I will make honesty, leadership, and service a personal priority.
- I will do my best to be a caring person, treating others with respect and dignity.
- I will be a good school role model, abiding by the rules and regulations.
- I will represent myself with integrity at school, off campus, and on all social media.
- I will abstain from the use of alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, prescription drugs I am not prescribed, and illegal drugs; furthermore I will avoid situations in which students are using the above drugs.
- I will maintain confidentiality of program related activities in all cases EXCEPT: Illegal activity occurring on campus.
- When there is a threat of serious harm to self or others
- When physical, sexual, or emotional abuse is reported
- When problems are severe enough beyond the expertise of peer helping
- I will report the above exceptions immediately to designated professional staff.
Please complete the following questions in the form below to apply for a Peer Helping position at DMS. https://forms.gle/yxo5oj5uPogZygXN8
The last question asks you to submit a brief video that will serve as your interview.
Submit a video that is around 1 to 3 minutes. Explain why you think Peer Helping is important and your beliefs about the importance of service. Explain your personal strengths and how you can be an asset to the school’s Peer Helper Program. Give specific examples of times when you have helped others in the past.
This form must be completed by the applicant no later than Tuesday, August 24, 2021 at 3 PM to be considered.
Want more information about being a Peer Helper?
Find out more about being a Peer Helper: https://jennifermoorefoundation.com/about/
Past Daphne Middle School Peer Helper Projects: https://www.bcbe.org/domain/577