2018-2019 7thGrade English Syllabus and Expectations
Student Name: ___________________________________________________________ Period: ________
- This class encompasses the areas of grammar, composition, vocabulary, reading, and literature. Grammar is reinforced with an emphasis on mastering the eight parts of speech. Writing skills development focuses both creatively and analytically on paragraph, essay, and research writing. Literature appreciation emphasizes both reading comprehension and critical thinking skills. The class will be taught in accordance with College and Career Ready (CCRS) standards as required by Alabama State Law.
- Students will work with partners, groups, or individually. Students are expected to be mature about who their partner is and accept that sometimes we may not get to work with our friends. We may have to work with people we don’t know or necessarily like.
- Students will have grades updated weekly in INow each weekend. Students are expected to look at their current grades. This helps with accountability and student ownership of their grades.
- If a student is failing or in danger of failing, a conference will be scheduled to come up with solutions to ensure the student’s academic success.
59.4 and below
- 60% - Assessments
- 40% - Classwork
Make-Up Work Guidelines:
- According to school district policy, if an absence is excused, you will have 3 days to make up your work without penalty. Please refer to your student handbook for more information on excused and unexcused absences.
- Students are not only responsible for asking for late work, but they are responsible for scheduling a time to make up missing work. They may need to come to my classroom during their break time to make up missed assignments.
- There will not be a physical textbook used for this class. Instead, students will use class sets of novels, handouts, and digital copies to complete assignments. The student Chromebookmust be chargedand brought to classeach day. Many assignments will be turned in through the Chromebooks using Google Classroom. It is recommended to have a large binderwith dividers and lined paper. This can be used for multiple classes. There are no student lockers, so it is wise to travel light. Other recommended supplies are 3 highlighters(Yellow/Green/Blue), index cards, and pens/pencilswith extra graphite. If you need tissue, keep some in your book bag.
Major Texts:Written in Bone, A Wrinkle in Time, The Giver, and Hoot
Please note that this syllabus is subject to changes at any point during the school year.
Please Sign and Return this Sheet:
Student Name: __________________________________________________________________ Period: _____________
First Person to Contact:
Work Phone: _________________________________________ Cell Phone: ____________________________________
Preferred Method of Contact During the Day: ___Email ___Work Phone ____ Cell Phone
Preferred Method of Contact During the Evening (After 4:00): ___Email ___Work Phone ____ Cell Phone
I have read the syllabus and understand the classroom expectations.
Parent Signature: ___________________________________________________________________________________
Student Signature: __________________________________________________________________________________
My child, ________________________________, has my permission to be photographed and/or videoed for social media purposes at Daphne Middle School during the 2018-2019 school year.
Please Detach this Sheet. Keep The Syllabus at home or in your child’s binder for your record!
If you have any behavior issues or learning issues that you feel need to be shared, please call the school to schedule a conference as soon as possible. This way, you can meet with your child’s teacher to create a plan of action that work best for your child. 251-626-2845