HOW TO HANDLE VERBAL BULLYING
Students need to learn valuable coping skills in handling bullying. Verbal bullying such as name calling needs to be handled by the student first before reporting it to an adult. In other words, students need to try several strategies themselves to stop verbal bullying. These 5 strategies can be remembered as the 'High 5.'
1. Ignore it. Don't look at the person. Change the subject.
2. Talk friendly or ask nicely for the person to stop. Be calm.
3. Walk away. Remove yourself from the person/situation.
4. Talk firmly and tell the person to STOP! Let the person know that you will report it if he/she does not STOP!
5. If strategies 1-4 do not work, Report it to an adult.
Verbal threats of violence need to be reported immediately to an adult.