Substitute Application

  • Lib   The Baldwin County Board of Education utilizes substitutes for a variety of positions, including, but not limited to, teachers, paraprofessional, nurses, bus drivers, custodians, and cafeteria workers. Prospective substitutes must complete the substitute application and obtain background clearance through the Alabama State Department of Education. The Baldwin County Board of Education also participates in E-Verify to confirm the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.

    Substitute applications are accepted BY APPOINTMENT ONLY once our office has received three references AND you have been fingerprinted in order to obtain background clearance. To schedule an appointment, please call 937-0306, ext. 1912. Please bring the completed application and all other required documentation to your appointment.

    The following documents are required for the substitute application to be complete. Other documentation may be required in accordance with the substitute position and applicable pay.
    1. The completed Substitute Application, which can be downloaded by clicking here: Application 
    2. Three references, which must be mailed by the person completing the form directly to the Human Resources office of the Baldwin County Board of Education, Attn. Substitutes, 2600 N. Hand Avenue, Bay Minette, AL 36507. References returned electronically to an application on Teach in Alabama may be used in lieu of forms provided in the substitute application packet. References over one year old are not acceptable. Substitute reference form: click here
    3. Social security card, which must be brought with you to the appointment.
    4. Driver’s license or valid picture ID, which must be brought with you to the appointment.
    5. The following completed forms: A-4, W-4, Drug Free Workplace Form, Background Clearance 

    6. Background clearance through the Alabama State Department of Education. Substitute cards will not be issued until background clearance is obtained. For information and procedures regarding the background clearance, please click here

    Nurse Classroom Teacher/Administrative Substitutes
    You must hold a valid Substitute Teacher license obtained through the Alabama State Department of Education. You must bring a $30 money order or cashier’s check made payable to the Alabama State Department of Education to your appointment. NO PERSONAL CHECKS ARE ACCEPTED. You may also pay online at A copy of your receipt for online payment must accompany your application. The $30 fee is not required for applicants who already hold valid Alabama teaching certificates.

    To be eligible for certificated substitute pay, a copy of your valid Alabama Professional Educator Certificate must be on file in the Human Resources office. For Administrative Substitutes, valid Alabama certification in the area of Educational Leadership must be on file to be eligible for the administrative substitute pay.

    For degreed substitutes, a copy of your official transcript from a regionally accredited institution, including the date of degree conferral, must be on file in the Human Resources office to be eligible for degreed substitute pay. At this time, we do not accept elecronc transcripts as official.  The transcript must be sent from your college directly to our office.

    All non-degreed substitutes (excluding cafeteria, custodial, and bus driver substitutes) are required to provide a copy of their high school diploma or equivalent.

    Bus driver substitutes must meet all bus driver requirements outlined by the Baldwin County Board of Education and the Alabama State Department of Education. For more information about being a substitute bus driver and for bus driver training schedules, please call 251-580-1894.

    Please click here for information regarding substitute pay.