• Welcome to the Baldwin County Public Schools family! We want to make your transition into our school system as easy and enjoyable as possible. We've assembled a list of the most often asked questions. However, if your questions aren't completely answered here, we'll be glad to help. Simply drop us an e-mail!

    Welcome aboard!

    We look forward to educating your child. There has never been a more exciting time to be a student. Here is a snapshot of what we expect our graduates to be.

    Online registration is underway now. It is for returning students. Parents of new students will need to complete the PDF registration forms and take them to school office. More here: bcbe.org/registration 


    Q. How and where do I enroll my child? When is summer registration?

    A. Parents of returning students (who were registered on the last day of school) may register their child online. A registration code is supplied by the school, usually with the last report card of the year. Students new to the district must be registered at the school. Parents/guardians must bring all necessary documents to the school office for each child they wish to enroll. The counselor or the registrar at each school is responsible for student enrollment; please call the school to make an appointment with the appropriate person before arriving.

    All students, whether new to the school system or previously enrolled, are required to take part in any pre-registration activities the school may offer. During pre-registration, students may purchase P.E. uniforms, pay course fees, buy school yearbooks, rent lockers, pick up schedules, and visit classrooms. This list also includes events such as "Meet Your Teacher" Days, which is an opportunity for parents and students to meet the teacher prior to the opening of school.

    A list of all schools are under the schools tab of this web site.

    Q. What do you offer for Kindergarten and Pre-Kindergarten students?


    Children who turn 5 years old by September 2 of the attendance year are eligible to enroll in kindergarten in the elementary school located in the attendance zone where they live. Kindergarten is not mandatory in Alabama, but it is available in all Baldwin County Elementary Schools. Countywide registration for kindergarten takes place in April before the attendance year. However, parents may go to the elementary school in their attendance zone any time after the county registration to register their children. To register your child for kindergarten you must have your child’s Certified Birth Certificate,Social Security Card and Alabama Certificate of Immunization. In addition, you need to provide two proofs of residence with the physical address of your residence (not a post office box). 


    Children who turn 4 years old by September 2 of the attendance year are eligible to enroll in Pre-K in the Title I elementary school located in the attendance zone where they live. Pre-K is available in Title I schools only, and classes are limited. The Pre-K application period is during the month of March prior to the attendance year. To register your child for Pre-K you must have your child’s Certified Birth Certificate, Social Security Card, and two proofs of residence with the physical address of your residence (not a post office box). 

    Q. How important is it to attend Open House events?

    A. Education is a collaborative effort between schools, parents, and the community at large. Open House events provide an opportunity for your child's teachers to share with you information specific to their grade level or course. Your presence is extremely important; you will learn exactly what is expected of your child in each setting and be shown ways you can help them achieve success.

    Q. What information will I need to bring in order to register my child?

    A. Please bring the following documents with you for each child you wish to enroll:

    Birth certificate
    Social Security card [Social Security Card is not required, as per Federal guidance]
    Two proofs of residence
    One of these must be a recent utility bill with your Baldwin County address.
    Withdrawal papers from last school attended, including transcript
    Immunization form
    All students are required by Alabama State Law to have an original certificate of immunization (IMM-50); copies are unacceptable. These certificates may be obtained from your local physician or Baldwin County Health Department in Robertsdale. The Health Department may be reached at 251.947.1910.

    You will be required to complete an enrollment form for each student. These will be made available by the registrar or counselor when you visit the school.

    Q. What if I am not the legal guardian/custodian for a child? What do I need to do?

    A. To enroll a student in the Baldwin County School System you must have legal custody of the student. Delegations of parental authority or powers of attorney will not be accepted. The enrolling guardian/custodian shall reside in the attendance zone in which enrollment is sought. The student being enrolled must actually reside with his/her guardian/custodian.

    In addition to the matters noted in the preceding paragraph, it shall be the sole duty and responsibility of the enrolling guardian/custodian to provide all documentation otherwise required by the Baldwin County Board of Education as a prerequisite to enrollment.

    Please see the School Guardianship Guidelines for complete details.

    Q. How can I be certain which school my child should attend?

    A. Click on the School Zone Locator, read the disclaimer, press "enter" and then type in your address to see the schools that serve your address. The web-based school locator page is provided as a fast-reference service. It is very important that you contact the schools it lists to ensure that the information is indeed correct.

    Q. Do you allow a student to attend a school out of zone?

    A. In order to adequately project school facility needs in our rapidly growing county, currently the Board of Education only allows a zone variance - the ability to attend a school outside of one's own zone - in the case of extreme hardship, which is usually mostly medical in nature. Zone variances are not granted for the sake of convenience. If you believe you are eligible for a zone variance due to extreme hardship, please contact the principal of the school you wish your child to attend first.

    If the principal agrees that the student meets the requirements for eligibility for a zone variance, the parent must complete a Zone Variance Request Form provided by the school they are requesting to attend and attach a statement as to the necessity of the zone variance.

    For additional information, please review the Zone Variance Guidelines before submitting your request. The request form is here.

    *Please note: If a student has a zone variance, it is the responsibility of the parent to provide transportation for the child.

    Q. What is the procedure and criteria for placement in the district's Gifted Education Program?

    A. Baldwin County Public Schools offers services for gifted and talented students in first grade through twelfth grade. All parents have the right to refer their child for the district's Gifted Education Program. For more information on the Gifted Program click here.

    Q. Do you offer After School care?

    A. We offer After School Childcare at elementary, intermediate, some middle schools and two high schools in the county. After School Childcare Programs serve students ages 5-12 at elementary schools; Middle and High school students may attend at their school campus, if the program is available. All students must attend the After School Childcare Program on the campus of their day school.

    Busing of students is not an option. Cash is not accepted; payment may be made by check or money order; or online after registration. A complete list of ASCC locations and a registration form are available by clicking here. Students may participate in the After School Childcare Program on a full-time or daily basis. Full-time students are those who attend the program 3 to 5 days per week; the fee for full-time is $35 weekly; the daily rate of $10.00 per day applies to 1 or 2 days per week.

    Parents must select the days when their children will attend at the time of Registration in order to assist the After School Department in ensuring appropriate levels of staffing. Part-time students may attend only on those days the parents have pre-selected at Registration as attendance days. Fees are charged based on Registration and are not influenced by attendance. Pre-payment for services is required. The discount for BCBE teachers is $25.00 per week per child.

    The After School Child Care Program operates from 3-5:30 p.m. and follows the school calendar. Parents must complete a registration form, pay the $20 non-refundable registration fee, and the first week fee - no fewer than three days prior to the first day of attendance in the program. Payments may be made online once a child is registered in the program. Registration cannot be paid online. However, payments made online must be made by Thursday midnight for the coming week. Parent may email their online payment confirmation to the Site Manager as proof of payment. Payments not made by Thursday midnight must be paid on Friday at the site of attendance.

    During the school year, parents should contact the school their child attends after 3 p.m. to register for the ASCC program. Parents may register their child for the ASCC Program at Early Registration/Meet the Teacher day at the child's school. An exception to the three day wait will be made for the first day of school if Meet the Teacher is not five days prior to the beginning of school. Questions during the summer may be directed to the After School Childcare Department: 251.972.8518.
    For more information about Summer Child Care, locations, rates and dates, please click here.

    Q. How can I find out what school supplies are necessary?

    A. Required materials vary from school to school and from grade level to grade level. Many schools have supply lists posted on their websites. You may also find lists conveniently placed in the school supply aisles at local stores such as Wal-mart and Target. Supply lists are also available in each school's office.

    Q. Can my child take a book bag to school?

    A. The school system provides a backpack as part of its Digital Renaissance, a nationally-recognized digital initiative. The school system supplies a Mac Book Air for each student. Grade 3 through 12 students receive a Mac Book Air laptop and a backpack. Currently, third graders do not take their laptops home. Kindergarten through second grade students are assigned an iPad.

    Q. Do you allow students to bring and use cell phones on campus?

    A. Check your school's handbook for guidance.

    Q. What about the dress code? How strictly is it enforced?

    A. Baldwin County students are required to wear approved uniforms to school daily. For complete guidelines, see the Uniform Policy in the Student Handbook.

    Q. What about lunches? Can I pay for lunches online? What can my child take from home for lunch?

    A. Baldwin County Schools' cafeterias participate in the USDA Child Nutrition Program. Nutritious meals are provided to students daily at nominal cost. Each student is assigned an account number to use in the cafeteria and encouraged to memorize this number. Parents may pay send their child to school with cash or check to pay for meals. We suggest that parents consider paying for meals in advance by either writing a check for the week or month or by submitting a payment online. This provides an additional measure of safety for your child by alleviating the need to bring money to school for daily lunch. Checks can be made payable to the school.

    To pay online, you may use the Parent Account Management System (PAMS). You can go to www.paypams.com and set up an account. Additional information can be obtained by contacting the Child Nutrition Program office at 580.1885.

    Children may also bring a lunch from home to eat during their designated lunch time. Food is not allowed in the classrooms. There are no board policies that limit what parents can pack for their child’s lunch, however, some schools may have special policies in place because of severe food allergies.  Wholesome, healthy lunch items will keep your child fueled and ready to learn for the afternoon until they arrive home.

    If your child has a special dietary need, please contact your school nurse to complete a Diet Prescription Form.

    Meal Prices for School Year 2014-2015


    All enrolled paid students K-12: $1.50

    Reduced students K-12: $0.30

    Adult/Children Visitors: $2.00

    Board of Education Employees: $1.75


    All enrolled paid students K-8: $2.25

    All enrolled paid students 9-12: $2.50

    Reduced students K-12: $0.40

    Adult/Children Visitors: $3.75

    Board of Education Employees: $3.25

    Q. Is bus service available in my neighborhood? What do I need to do to allow my child to ride the bus?

    A. The Transportation Department for Baldwin County Schools oversees the daily operation of more than 280 bus routes. About half of our students ride the bus. Baldwin buses travel more than 16,000 miles each day. The Public Affairs Research Council of Alabama has rated our bus transportation program as the most efficiently run in Alabama. All Baldwin County students are provided transportation to and from school daily, regardless of their proximity to their local school.

    There is one person at each school responsible for managing student transportation. Maps of each bus route are available to assist in determining which bus will be designated to transport your child. Please contact your school prior to the beginning of the school year if you have additional questions.

    Q. What if I choose to take my child to school myself?

    A. Please contact your local school prior to the beginning of school to determine where you may safely drop off and pick up your child. Each school has very specific traffic flow patterns for the safety of all of our students. You will also learn what time students may enter the building and when they will be deemed tardy to school.

    Q. What are the requirements for excused absences?

    A. The Early Warning Truancy Prevention program provides guidelines which are followed by all Baldwin County schools for acceptable reasons for absences. They include:
    • Pupil is too ill to attend school. A physician’s certificate may be required after four consecutive absences due to illness.
    • Inclement weather as announced by local news media that makes it dangerous for students to attend school.
    • Legal quarantine.
    • Death in the immediate family.
    • Emergency conditions determined by superintendent or principal.
    • Absence to observe traditional religious holidays of local, national, or international origin, when verified by the student's minister or religious leader.

    Q. What are the procedures for checking a student in late to school, or checking a student out early?

    A. Parents or guardians must check their child out through the front office of the school. No child will be allowed to leave campus without the express consent of their parent or guardian. Early checkouts are discouraged; however, in the case of a medical necessity, it is requested that a doctor's note is submitted to the office the next day.

    Q: My child requires a special medical procedure to attend school. Is there a nurse at my child's school? If not, where can I find assistance?

    A: Baldwin County Public Schools have a Registered School Nurse and/or a Licensed Practical Nurse assigned to each school. In the majority of our schools there is a Licensed nurse assigned to the health room. You may contact the school office personnel at your child's assigned school and they will provide you the name and number of your assigned school nurse. The Supervisor of Health Services may also be contacted for assistance at 251-239-4327. If your child requires a special medical procedure, please contact the Supervisor of Health Services or your assigned school nurse before the planned date of enrollment. This will allow the nurse adequate time to plan for your child's arrival and ensure a smooth transition to your new school. For more information, please review the Health Services Section of this website.

    Q: My child receives medication daily. Will there be someone at school to safely assist with his or her medication?

    A: Your child will receive medication daily from a licensed nurse or a trained medication assistant. All medication assistants receive a maximum of 12 hours medication training before permission is granted to assist with medication. The medication curriculum was designed by the Alabama Board of Nursing and the Alabama State Department of Education and is monitored periodically by the registered school nurse. A parent authorization/physician prescriber form must be signed before a child may receive prescription medication. If your child receives medication only three times a day, we request that medication be given at home.

    Q: What if your child received special education services at their previous school?

    A. The Baldwin County Board of Education will continue to provide special education services to students who transfer into the district with an active Individualized Education Plan (IEP). To help make this transition as smooth as possible, it is important to provide a copy of your child's most recent IEP and evaluation at registration, if the information is available. A special education teacher will then contact the parent/guardian to set up a meeting to develop a temporary IEP to be used until special education records are received from the student's previous school.

    Q. What about fees? How do I pay them?

    A. Fees are set by your local school. Please contact your local school or check the school's registration information for details. Check your school's web site. Some schools now offered online payment for fees.

    Q. How can I check my child's grades online?

    A. All Baldwin County schools use the iNow school information system for recording grades and attendance. Click here to access the portal. At the beginning of the school year, you will be provided with a user id and password for each of your children who are enrolled in school. You may then access online grades by going to the website for your child's school, clicking on the online grades icon in the upper left panel, and entering the user id and password. You will be able to view your child's grades for each course, along with attendance and discipline records.

    Please protect this confidential information. Should you misplace it, you must request it in person from the school registrar. No passwords will be provided over the phone.

    Q. Who should I contact if I have a problem?

    A. If you feel that your child is having difficulty in any particular class, please contact the teacher to schedule an appointment. If the problem is occurring outside the bounds of a particular classroom, e.g., on the bus or in the cafeteria, please contact the principal.

    Q. Where can I find the phone number and the principal's name for the school my child will attend?

    A. A list of all Baldwin County Schools is available here. This list provides phone numbers, principal's name, and links to each school's website.

    Q. How do I get a copy of the school's calendar?

    A. The official school system calendar is available here on the web site. All schools in the system follow this schedule for holidays, grading periods, and exam schedules. The school calendar is available on the school web site.

    Q. What about summers and holidays? What programs are available for my child?

    A. Summer activity opportunities abound for students across the county. Our school facilities are used for athletic clinics, conditioning exercise classes, and summer music and art instruction; you can find dates for these activities on this website or on the local school's website. Academic programs such as Camp Invention are also hosted by our schools.

    Baldwin County Schools work in conjunction with YMCA of South Alabama to make summer activities readily available. There are two branches of the YMCA in Baldwin County. The Bounds Family YMCA is located in Daphne at 8051 Whispering Pines Road. They may be reached at (251) 626-0888. The Snook Family YMCA is located in Foley at 2560 South Pine Street. They may be reached at 251.970.3003.

    Every school works closely with its surrounding community to help ensure that children continue to grow and learn during their summer vacation and holiday breaks. City libraries sponsor summer reading programs and computer classes, while city recreation departments provide swimming, tennis, softball, soccer, and basketball activities. Competitive city leagues also offer students the opportunity to compete throughout the school year in a wide variety of sporting events.