Peer Helper Application
Deadline for application requirements is
FRIDAY, April 26
Peer Helper Program Overview
To equip young people to act as a resource to help other youth with the issues they face, the concept of “peer helping” was developed. Peer Helpers are students who are trained to recognize when their peers may have a problem, listen to fellow students confidentially and assist them with emotional, societal, or academic struggles. Peer Helpers are taught as a state accredited elective class .Peer Helpers assist classmates by listening empathetically, providing options for making healthy choices, becoming advocates, and helping them get involved in campus life. In the process of helping others improve their self-esteem, Peer Helpers can themselves become leaders and role models.
- Digital application completed https://forms.gle/ixt46jb6ThgCRXyD8
- Three current teacher recommendations (2 core and 1 non-core) https://forms.gle/zCjKwThJPRCiwrYw5
- Parent recommendation and permission https://forms.gle/zCjKwThJPRCiwrYw5
- If you are currently a Peer Helper you must have an additional recommendation from your current sponsor (same link as above)
- Personal Interview at Daphne Middle after school on 4/24, 4/26/ or 4/29 (Time options located in your application)
Peer Helper Code of Ethics:
- I will participate in all required peer helper training and special events throughout the year. I understand that this will require me to be available for an elective class, during summer, during the school day, before school, after school, and weekends.
- I will make honesty, leadership, and service a personal priority.
- I will do my best to be a caring person, treating others with respect and dignity.
- I will be a good school role model, abiding by the rules and regulations.
- I will represent myself with integrity at school, off campus, and on all social media.
- I will abstain from the use of alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, prescription drugs I am not prescribed, and illegal drugs; furthermore I will avoid situations in which students are using the above drugs.
- I will not engage in any sexual behaviors which increase my risk for physical, social, or emotional consequences.
- I will maintain confidentiality of program related activities in all cases EXCEPT:
- Illegal activity occurring on campus.
- When there is a threat of serious harm to self or others
- When physical, sexual, or emotional abuse is reported
- When problems are severe enough beyond the expertise of peer helping
I will report the above exceptions immediately to designated professional staff.
- Check the email you submitted in your application for further information.
- Approximately 50 Peer Helpers will be selected, and students must choose Peer Helping as their only elective choice for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Summer Training is MANDATORY and will be held Tuesday, June 4 from 10 AM until 5 PM and includes a parent information meeting from 5 PM to 6 PM.