Specially Recognized as Leader In Me Lighthouse School
W.J. Carroll Intermediate School was Named a Leader in Me Lighthouse School by Franklin Covey Co.
Leadership and Life Skills Inspire Young Students to be 21st Century Leaders with the Leader in Me Process
This recognition comes because the school has achieved outstanding results in school and student outcomes, by implementing The Leader in Me process with fidelity. It is also because of the extraordinary impact the school is having on staff, students, parents, and the greater community.
Sean Covey, President of FranklinCovey Education, said, “We are thrilled to recognize W.J. Carroll Intermediate School as a Leader in Me Lighthouse School. Schools that achieve the Lighthouse Milestone are great examples of a strong leadership model, process, and of what it means to be a Leader in Me school. This school has experienced transformational results by implementing the principles and practices related to The Leader in Me. We are so pleased to celebrate the success they are experiencing.”
Dana Bottoms, principal of W.J. Carroll said, “We are honored to become a Leader in Me Lighthouse School. We have seen such amazing results from implementing The Leader in Me process at our school. It has helped us establish a foundational operating system that builds wonderful relationships, transforms the culture, and highly motivates staff members and students. Our students have learned how to become self-reliant, take initiative, plan ahead, set and track goals, do their homework, prioritize their time, manage their emotions, be considerate of others, express their viewpoints persuasively, resolve conflicts, find creative solutions, value differences, and live a balanced life. In short, The Leader in Me process helps students develop the skills and self-confidence they need to lead their lives and succeed in school and beyond.”
The Leader in Me utilizes and integrates leadership, social-emotional learning, quality, and educational models and processes from past and current thought leaders including The 4 Imperatives of Great Leaders and The 4 Disciplines of Execution. The process includes student participation in goal setting, data tracking, leadership roles, Student-Led Conferences, leadership environments, and Leadership Events. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is also a key component of the overall Leader in Me process and is a synthesis of universal, timeless principles of personal, interpersonal, and organizational effectiveness such as responsibility, vision, integrity, teamwork, collaboration, and renewal, which are secular in nature and common to all people and cultures.
The Lighthouse Milestone is a highly regarded standard set by FranklinCovey that is attainable by every The Leader in Me school. The attainment of the Lighthouse Milestone represents a significant benchmark, and it is evidence that a high standard has been met by a school. Applying for the Lighthouse Milestone typically occurs three to five years after a school begins The Leader in Me process.
Becoming a Lighthouse School is recognition schools earn because they have produced outstanding results in school and student outcomes by implementing The Leader in Me with fidelity. The designation is given to schools that have demonstrated the following:
- The school campus environment reinforces the leadership model by displaying leadership language that emphasizes individual worth and potential in hallways and classrooms.
- Teachers integrate leadership language into school curriculum and instruction.
- Staff collaborates and works together to effectively build a culture of leadership.
- Students are provided with meaningful student leadership roles and responsibilities, such as mentors, public speakers, school tour guides, and greeters.
- Parents are given opportunities to learn The Leader in Me model and the 7 Habits and are involved in activities that support the leadership model.
- A system is in place for setting up and tracking school-wide, classroom, academic, and personal goals.
- Leadership events are held to allow students to practice their leadership skills (e.g. public speaking, sharing data, confident greetings, etc.) with community business partners, parents, and other educators.
- The school leadership team meets regularly and oversees the school-wide implementation of the leadership model with the help of students, staff, parents, and community members.
- Measurable improvements in teacher engagement, parent satisfaction, student behavior, and academic alignment are shown by comparing baseline data with the tracking of ongoing data.
Leader in Me Schools, which have implemented the process with fidelity, report increases in the following: student self-confidence, teamwork, initiative, responsibility, creativity, self-direction, leadership, problem-solving, and communication for children of all ages, socioeconomic levels, learning capacities, and cultural backgrounds.
Schools also report achievement in the following key outcomes: fewer discipline referrals and suspensions; improved teacher, student, parent satisfaction and engagement; general student behavioral improvement; improved student leadership skills; enhanced school culture; and increased student self-directed learning.
About Franklin Covey Co.
Franklin Covey Co. (NYSE: FC) is a global, public company (NYSE:FC) specializing in performance improvement. We help organizations and individuals achieve results that require a change in human behavior. Our expertise is in seven areas: leadership, execution, productivity, trust, sales performance, customer loyalty and education. Franklin Covey clients have included 90 percent of the Fortune 100, more than 75 percent of the Fortune 500, thousands of small and mid-sized businesses, as well as numerous government entities and educational institutions. Franklin Covey has more than 100 direct and partner offices providing professional services in over 150 countries and territories.