Introduction to English as a Second Language
- To assist all limited-English proficient students in acquiring fluency in the English language skills of listening, speaking, reading, comprehending and writing
- To help limited-English proficient students to master academic content instruction at each grade level
- To provide limited-English proficient students with equal access to all school programs
- To provide quality professional development to teachers, administrators, and other school or community-based personnel
- To increase the English proficiency of limited-English proficient students by providing quality language instruction educational programs
- To increase the academic achievement of limited-English proficient students in the core academic subjects
- To improve the instruction of limited-English proficient students by providing quality professional development to teachers, administrators, and other school or community-based personnel
- To improve the coordination between elementary/secondary language instruction education programs and other relevant programs and services
The ESL program in Baldwin County offers a combination of self-contained services, inclusion services and pull-out services for all limited-English proficient students. In addition, support services are provided to all classroom teachers. Students are placed in the ESL program based upon their performance on an English language proficiency test of listening, speaking, reading, and writing, upon their academic achievement and other formal and informal measures. Depending upon the grade level and ability level of the individual students, ESL services are provided to meet specific needs. A combination of strategies is used to teach English: whole language, phonics, oral language skills, cooperative learning, and integrated reading. Emphasis is placed upon the development of the four communication skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
There are currently more than 700 English Language Learners enrolled in Baldwin County Public Schools. These students are served by 17 ESL Resource Teachers and 6 ESL Instructional Aides.