Gifted Ed Program Goals
I. Goal: To provide training for all staff on the procedures for referring and identifying students for gifted services.
- Develop training and assemble handouts to include forms, procedures, etc.
- Schedule training annually to update procedures and inform new staff.
- Implement training.
- Maintain documentation of training provided.
- Evaluate effectiveness of training.
II. Goal: To continue working towards racial equity in the gifted program.
- Provide yearly in-service for all elementary and middle school faculties concerning the issues associated with identifying underrepresented groups.
- Utilize appropriate assessments to make screening/eligibility decisions.
- Strive to allocate gifted teachers for schools with high numbers of minority or low socio-economic students to conduct child find activities and implement enrichment programs to nurture gifted potential.
III. Goal: To continue conducting Child Find Activities
- Implement mandatory Second Grade Child Find Activity.
- Review SAT or other group aptitude test scores and refer any students who have high aptitude or achievement scores.
- Provide public notice in the handbook or Code of Conduct.
- Schedule gifted teachers into second grade classrooms to conduct lessons that yield gifted behaviors and products.
- Provide yearly staff development for general education teachers concerning the referral process.
IV. Goal: To ensure that there are comparable services throughout the system.
- Communicate with principals and check teachers’ schedules to make sure that students in the same grade level across the system are receiving the same number of hours of service.
- Allocate gifted teachers equitably taking into consideration caseloads and number of schools served.
- Strive to find classroom space for each gifted teacher that is comparable to other programs.
V. Goal: To work towards a true continuum of services for high-end learners.
- Provide pullout services for grades 3-5 or 3-6.
- Provide consultation services for grades K-2.
- Provide advanced courses for grades 6 or 7-12.
- Consult, as time will allow, with general education teachers across grade levels concerning meeting the needs of high-end learners in the general education classroom.
VI. Goal: To provide curriculum for gifted learners that is concept and problem based.
- Support gifted teachers in attending professional development in the areas of concept and problem-based learning.
- Support gifted teachers in meeting with other gifted specialists to work on units of study.
VII. Goal: To maintain program evaluation procedures that direct program improvement.
- Use multiple data sources and methods.
- Disseminate evaluation information annually.
- Use information for program development, improvement and expansion.
VIII. Goal: To develop school and community awareness of the needs of gifted students in Baldwin County Public Schools.
- Continue regular meetings with local school Gifted Education Parent Advisory Committees.
- Schedule annual meetings for the Gifted Education District Parents’ Advisory Committee.
- Offer a range of networking opportunities and training to parents of gifted students at both the local and district level each year.