BCBE Office of the General Counsel
The Office of the General Counsel is responsible for managing all legal services for the Baldwin County Board of Education and providing legal representation and advice in matters relating to the operations of the school system. The Office of the General Counsel’s mission is to use specialized experiences, knowledge, and skills to support the Board, the Superintendent, and school system staff in serving the educational needs of students. The following are examples of functions that the General Counsel fulfills:
- Advises the Board of Education at Board meetings;
- Represents the School Board in judicial and administrative proceedings;
- Advises the Superintendent and school system staff regarding legal, compliance, and litigation matters within the school system;
- Reviews and negotiates contract terms with vendors;
- Manages open records requests and subpoenas;
- Assists with employee and parent-student complaints;
- Develops and coordinates training for administrators and other staff on matters of Board Policy and legal compliance.
- School system personnel with work-related legal questions should contact their appropriate school system administrators, who will then refer such legal matters to the General Counsel.