Dear Daphne HS Families,
Please carefully review the information below regarding the BCS Attendance Policy.
It is critically important that excuse notes are brought to school within three days of an absence, following your students return to school, so they can be coded correctly in iNow. The BCS Makeup Work policy allows for three days to make up work if the absence is excused.
The Baldwin County Public School System is committed to the provision of excellent educational opportunities for all students. For students to take advantage of these opportunities, it is essential that students attend school on a regular basis. Daily attendance is monitored by each school so that both parents and educators can work together to ensure compliance with the district’s attendance policy.
The Baldwin County Public Schools website contains information about attendance. You can view this information by going to www.bcbe.org, click on New Families, click on BCS Handbook, and scroll down to the sections entitled Early Warning Truancy Notice and Parental Notification of Early Warning Truancy Prevention Program.
Excused absences will be permitted for the following reasons
- Personal illness
- Death in the family
- Court subpoena
- Religious holidays
- Emergencies conditions approved by the principal
- Prior permission of the principal upon request of the parent or legal guardian
Documentation supporting an excused absence must be submitted no later than three school days following the child’s return to school or the absence will be deemed to be unexcused. Excessive unexcused absences may result in a loss of academic credit at the high school level and the possibility of retention in grades K-8. At all grade levels, unexcused absences will result in no opportunity to make-up missed work. Excessive unexcused absences will also result in a referral to the Early Warning Truancy Program.
Make-Up Work for Excused Absences
- An excused absence permits work to be made up.
- Upon return to school from excused absence(s), students have up to three (3) days per excused absence to complete and turn in make-up work to teachers.
- Days are to run consecutively, may overlap and includes weekends.
Written Explanation for All Absences (Grades Pre-K thru 12)
- A student, within three (3) school days of returning to school, shall bring a written statement from his/her parent, guardian or other person having control of the student, with an explanation or the reason for the absence and the date of the absence.
- A written note from parents or guardians will excuse absences for up to but not exceeding nine (9) absences in grades Pre-K thru12.
- After the ninth absence, any further absences for illness will require submission of a doctor’s note in order to be excused.
Other Attendance Information
- Two (2) principal pre-approved days for college visits are allowed during junior and senior years. Work can be made-up for college visit days.
- Vacation days must be pre-approved by the principal and are included in 9 parent days students are allowed. Vacations days may not exceed three (3) days.
- Students will not be allowed to make-up missed work due to absence unless the student provides a written statement from his/her parent, guardian or other person having control of the student, within three days of returning to school, with an explanation or the reason for the absence and the date of the absence. After the ninth absence, students will not be able to make-up missed work unless a doctor’s note is submitted within three days of the student’s return to school.