Substituting in BCBE Schools

  • The Baldwin County Board of Education utilizes substitutes for a variety of positions, including, but not limited to, teachers, paraprofessionals, nurses, bus drivers, custodians, and cafeteria workers. Prospective substitutes must complete the substitute application and obtain background clearance through the Alabama State Department of Education. The Baldwin County Board of Education also participates in E-Verify to confirm the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.

    If you are interested in becoming a substitute for Baldwin County Public Schools, please follow the steps outlined in the Substitute Application Requirement Document on this page. Appointments can only be scheduled after you have been fingerprinted, one reference has been received, and all paperwork has been submitted. Please call 251-937-0306 to schedule an appointment two days after you have been fingerprinted for a background review. Due to the high volume of calls and appointments, you may experience a response delay.

Substitute Applications

  • Substitute applications are accepted BY APPOINTMENT ONLY once our office has received one positive reference AND you have been fingerprinted in order to obtain background clearance. To schedule an appointment, please call 937-0306, ext. 4323. Please bring the completed application and all other required documentation to your appointment.

    The links below are your guide to completing the substitute application process. Other documentation may be required in accordance with the substitute position and applicable pay.

    1. Closely follow the Substitute Application Requirement Document. Follow these steps to fidelity. 
    2. By clicking this link Substitute Application Packet, you will find all the necessary documents.
    3. Please call (251) 937-0306 two (2) days after you have been fingerprinted to request a background review. 

Fingerprinting: Background Clearance

  • Guidelines for ALSDE Background ClearanceTo complete the new State of Alabama Department of Education background clearance please click here for steps, what is needed to get started, and what is required to complete the background clearance.

Classroom Teacher/Administrative Substitutes

  • You must hold a valid Substitute Teacher license obtained through the Alabama State Department of Education. You must bring a $30 money order or cashier’s check made payable to the Alabama State Department of Education to your appointment. NO PERSONAL CHECKS ARE ACCEPTED. You may also pay online at A copy of your receipt for online payment must accompany your application. The $30 fee is not required for applicants who already hold valid Alabama teaching certificates.

    • To be eligible for certificated substitute pay, a copy of your valid Alabama Professional Educator Certificate must be on file in the Human Resources office. For Administrative Substitutes, valid Alabama certification in the area of Educational Leadership must be on file to be eligible for the administrative substitute pay.
    • For degreed substitutes, a copy of your official transcript from a regionally accredited institution, including the date of degree conferral, must be on file in the Human Resources office to be eligible for degreed substitute pay. At this time, we do not accept elecronc transcripts as official.  The transcript must be sent from your college directly to our office.
    • All non-degreed substitutes (excluding cafeteria, custodial, and bus driver substitutes) are required to provide a copy of their high school diploma or equivalent.
    • Bus driver substitutes must meet all bus driver requirements outlined by the Baldwin County Board of Education and the Alabama State Department of Education. For more information about being a substitute bus driver and for bus driver training schedules, please call 251-580-1894. Please click here for information regarding substitute pay.

Sub Card Renewal